Do I need prior experience in yoga? What level is the yoga?
No prior experience is needed. Anyone from a beginner to a more experienced practitioner can attend the retreat. Because the classes are small and personalized we meet you at your level and work from there.
When is arrival and check-out?
You can arrive anytime after noon. Most guests leave after the morning yoga and breakfast, around noon, unless their travel plans require leaving earlier.
Will I learn meditation there?
Morning silent meditation is an option. The afternoon class offers chanting and breathing meditations. As with the yoga, you can go as deep or as preliminary as you wish. Many of the practices at Sewall House are to introduce or further your practice so that you can decide what to include in your lifestyle when you return home.
What kind of food do you serve?
We serve a vegetarian menu in keeping with yoga practice. Our food is ample, tasty, mostly organic and prepared on the premises. We serve homemade items such as granola (we use gluten free, organic oats!), breads, jams and nut butters for breakfast in addition to yogurt, cheese and fruit. We usually offer eggs or pancakes on weekends.
Examples of our main dishes include veggie burgers, chili, soups or different types of curries, etc. Our dinners are followed by desserts such as cookies, brownies or raw desserts. Most of our food is naturally gluten free and vegan options are ample. Just let us know about any food allergens ahead of time so we are aware. Please also note that if you require all meals to be gluten free, a $10 charge per person, per day applies.
Do you serve coffee and tea?
We offer coffee and tea, including homemade caffeine-free chai (the original yogi tea!).
Do You offer alcohol?
Sewall House Yoga Retreat does not serve alcohol but you are free to bring your own.
Can I bring my pet?
We have 2 cats and one well behaved dog on the premises so only under special consideration can we invite other pets in fairness to the other guests. Please inquire!
How long should I stay?
We suggest a minimum of 5 days so you can truly unwind, enjoy the retreat and surrounding areas, reap the benefits of the daily schedule.
How do I get there and where are you exactly in Maine?
Maine is a large state. We are in the northern part of the state, the southern part of Aroostook County, known for Baxter State Park, Mount Katahdin and surrounding lakes. We are only 30 miles from the Canada–United States border. The bordering town in United states is Houlton, Maine (Passport required). You can drive easily from New York City and Boston or Canada.
In Canada the bordering town is Woodstock, New Brunswick which is 92 km west of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. You can fly into Bangor (which is closer) or Portland. From the airports you can catch a bus or rent a car. We also provide pickup from Bangor for a fee unless you are booking 5 or more nights in which case pickup is free. From Portland, we offer free airport pickup if you are staying 7 nights or more.
What we are ✅
A Wise, Mature Yoga Home filled with love and authenticity
- A place to restart or reboot your daily yoga practice
- A home of intention and yogic lyfestyle were you come to kickback, relax, adventure and heal
- A great place for outdoor enthusiasts local lakes hikes wilderness parks
- A nurturing place for couples to come and reconnect, travel and practice yoga togheter
- Privately owned and operated by yogi’s for yogi’s since 1997.
- Rural, small historic town of 700 people, friendly locals.
- An Historic Home in a rural New England setting in northern Maine
- Open, loving, warm, wise experienced teacher / staff.
- A healing place of support and strength through life’s transition.
- Open to your questions before and during your retreat
- Animal lovers we have 3 pets on board
- Private bedrooms for everyone
- Days of fluidity and equanimity
- Near Canada! (New Brunswick)
What we are not ❌
- On the coast (although we are a short drive away from amazing lakes and rivers)
- Touristy, impersonal and stuffy
- Near restaurants or antiquing
- A place to party- no alcohol, meat or recreational drugs (though we have a lot of fun)
- Crowded ( our retreats often have 3-5 guest and are always personalized )
- Young and Trendy